Saturday, August 25, 2007

 

Sonical youth in the house and shoot em up

OK finally bothering to get around to writing up about seeing Sonic Youth on Wednesday night just there and I have to say they were pretty damn good overall. Their main set comprised mainly of the Daydream Nation album, which of course any Youthie fan will know stands as a sort of milestone in their recording career and generally considered one of their more accessible albums. And they played every last song off it, which was pretty impressive. Sadly I felt after they finished the Daydream set, they played a bunch of songs I wasn't familiar with and a few of which didn't really impress me, so I felt they could have probably have picked a tauter set for the rest of the gig. Ah well hey ho, from what I understand Sonic Youth were doing this tour by picking out different albums and using them as the main set, so guess other songs I was looking for would have popped up there. I shouldn't complain too much cos they are on of the most influential alt rock bands around and they don't often come to Glasgow so it was great to see them at last.

Also on a different note I watched Shooter tonight with Mark Whalberg in ultra serious mode as a top rate sniper, Sgt Swagger who is hired to provide a diversion to prevent an assassination attempt on the President of the USA. But things go awry and Swagger is framed and forced to go on the run from the authorities. Directed by Anton Fuqua (Training Day) I was expecting this movie to be pretty good and thankfully it was, although it did lack a certain amount of credibility in places (two guys could easily take out an entire rebel assault team? Yeah sure with no scratches!). Its also not the best performance Mark Whalberg has ever given, he's OK in it, don't get me wrong, but he's just playing it as straight as can be. But the pacing of the movie is just about right and the action is really good, Fuqua is a real good action director I have to say. So give Shooter a look in once (or twice if you're keen).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?