Thursday, July 05, 2007

 

Helmet bashing

Now I'm quite a big devotee of the metal/hardcore band, Helmet, personally I think their music is far more intense and creative than most of the pish that is out there certainly just now in the mainstream. Page Hamilton, the leader guitarist, singer and founder of the band, for me is one of my favourite guitarists (and yes I often practice Helmet riffs in my room, chortle chortle!).

So I was somewhat amused and bemused to read his bio page on Wikipedia and saw that a Wiki user had clearly gone into the page and hacked it by rewording it and saying things like "Page is a crumby guitar player, bad singer, and producer of awful music and founder of the ever downhill metal band, Helmet". I did like the comment though about how his wife Betty (3rd album title) was the main influence for their album titles "who used to strap on (1st album) a dildo and after some meantime (2nd album) let Hamilton have some of her dildo's aftertaste (4th album)". OK not the most subtle of jokes but pretty amusing all the same.

I also noticed this sort of hackery on other pages in Wikipedia, its kind of juvenile and annoying but I guess it can be fun too, but ultimately someone will go back and return the document to its previous state. Although it could be a concern too if some of these pages are being used to introduce spyware or malware of some kind onto peoples computers. You never who the hackers are, or if its just someone having a laugh.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?