Friday, July 13, 2007

 

Currently listening to...

Well I don't blog much about what music I listen to so thought I'd write up a quick something on some of the latest musi(c)ings I've perused. In fact I haven't really properly bought much music for a wee while until this week when I bought a couple of albums.

Firstly I got The Smashing Pumpkins eagerly awaited Zeitigeist album, which features only two of the original pumpkins that are left, Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain (Jimmy on drums, Billy naturally on everything else). And I was quite impressed with the results, its their best album in years in my humble opinion, far heavier and hard rocking than the previous mixed effort that was Machina. A few standout tracks for me were the opener "Doomsday Clock", "Shades of Black" and the epic (or otherwords "long") "United States", which is probably heaviest track on the record. There will always be a few naysayers about the Pumpkins and some of the critics reviews I've read say its not that great, but personally I think its a return to form.

Also this week I got UNKLE's latest effort, War Stories, which is also very impressive, in fact I'd probably say its their most consistent album to date, alot of the tracks have an indie rock feel to them, and it hangs together more like a song driven album than their previous cut up mix tracks. I've always liked UNKLE's dark, heavy toned, intense instrumental pieces, and they usually get some good recording artists to play with them, Josh Homme, Ian Astbury, Thom Yorke, Badly Drawn Boy, Ian Brown (!), and others to sing on certain tracks.

Also also of late I recently have been hearing some tracks from the electronic duo Hextstaic, which I quite like, so would like to get my mittens on some more of their stuff.

So that's about it fer now.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?