Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Linux or Windows??

Well not too much to report of late, not too much happening... except that in my spare time I've become reacquainted with using Linux again for the first time in a year or so. I downloaded Linux Fedora Core 5 and when after a trouble free install I just forgotten how much I had forgotten about Linux. I couldn't remember any shell commands or anything, but after a bit of consultation of the old Red Hat Bible I've got, it came back to me (well sort of). Part of the appeal of using Linux again is of course to set up another OS of a different kind and have all sorts of complications in the process, sounds weird but its more challenging than just plugging it in. But Linux support for hardware and drivers is definitely improving, especially over the space of the last two years or so from when I started using it.

But I was also chuffed to set it up and after a week of frustration and annoyance I managed to get Doom 3 working on Linux and it runs nearly as well on it too as it does in Windows (although some people I know of maintain its the other way about ;).

One of the things however that bugged me about Fedora Core though was the lack of support for mp3s, as it only supports the Ogg Vorbis file format, which sounds fine and you can also burn tracks using the built in media player. However if you download LimeWire you can still play mp3s through the LimeWire's built in player.

Anyway its an alternative to Windows and a pretty good one at that if you are willing to spend a fair bit of your time on forums. OK its not too different from Windows then ;)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?