Friday, July 21, 2006

 

The new media player

I had a look on Microsoft's site and noticed that there is a new beta version of Windows Media Player out, version 11, so I took it up myself to download and give it a test spin. My first impressions were "well its OK, but where the hell is eveything I could find before?". It seems with every new version of Media Player they have to revamp it in some way and not necessarily for the better, such as adding files to your library collection isn't as quite as easy as before. You have to now create a playlist and then bung the tracks into it. Hmmmm.

Aesthetically its not quite as pleasing to the eye either, its OK looking but obviously Microsoft are trying to rip off Apple's iTunes look by making the visual pane alot bigger and putting the track info out the way (to the top right, i.e. album name and song, and have the artist name at the bottom left which isn't so obvious looking).

Being a beta version it may also have a few bugs in it, one potential one was when I inserted a music CD it took ages to find the proper track names, infact it found the name of CD that was in before it. Not too impressive.

Ah well. Despite that it seems an OK upgrade, I'm sure Microsoft will get their software iron out to get rid of some of the bugs in the near future.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?